Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Wow, It's Been A While

Lots of changes happening here. My office is closing in the middle of January, and my job ends in the middle of February. So after my severance, we're losing my income. On the bright side, hubby didn't wait to get laid off from his sales job, he quit and accepted a job from a customer of his. The new job pays more and he really likes it. Only thing is, it's in Denver. He has already moved up there and started his new job, and the kids and I will follow when school is over. I think for the last couple of months I'm here, I'll collect unemployment. Hey, it's better than $0, right?

So now we have more money, but for the moment we've also added some pretty serious new expenses: $500 a month rent for his apartment in Denver, cable/internet for him, and his electric bill, plus groceries and gas. My plan is to pile up as much cash as I can while I'm still working, and then at the end of my job I get a retention bonus, which we will most likely use for a deposit on a house in Colorado.

I've been looking at the Colorado board on PYP, and it completely sucks! We are spoiled here in AZ, y'all. I mean, we have so much information on that board for this state, and CO has practically nothing. I'm going to have to become the ninja of all coupon shoppers when I move up there. Hey, maybe I can even help them out on their PYP board. Because seriously, they have links to the ads but no one lists them out by store and matches up coupons the way we do here in AZ. We have some AWESOME board moderators here.

4 comments:

American Dreamer said...

Sorry to hear about your job loss; however with the move you would have had to leave it anyhow. AZ unemployment amounts stink but if you are entitled, go for it. :-)
Congrats on your DH's new job. I have a good friend living in Denver. He loves it because he is a skier. I wish you and your family all the best with your move.

I am sure you can get that Colorado Board moving on PYP.Stop in on my blog every once in a while and let us know how you are doing.

Shelley said...

Precious,
He didn't accept this new job until after we found out I was losing mine. Actually, this customer of his has been trying to get him to come to Denver to work for him for about two years now, but he's always said no before. But now, with my job gone and the very real possibility of him being laid off as well, it just seemed like the time to make the move.

I know AZ has like the lowest unemployment compensation in the country, right? But I will most likely be entitled to the full amount ($220 a week, yippee!) and I figure it's better than nothing.

I will definitely still be around here. That's the cool thing about the internet...you can change locations, but your internet buddies are always right here! :)

Rick said...

Hello Shelley. Forgive me for being so bold, but I'm doing a bit of blog surfing to invite people over to my blog to join my annual giveaway. There are no gimmicks. It's just my way of celebrating two years of blogging. I'm giving away a free caricature drawn by me. I'd be honored if you came over to check it out.

Unknown said...

Losing your job sucks, doesn't it? Utah's unemployment isn't much better. At least you will qualify for it. I don't/won't. :(

You could sign up to be a mod on PYP yanno. You'd be great at it!

Good luck on the move. My uncle lives in Denver. We last visited in '02. Maybe we'll get over to visit again sometime...and include you and the fam!

And yes, I know I'm horrendously late in replying to this. :)