Sunday, March 23, 2008

My Savings Ticker

Ok, I have a ticker up there for savings for my emergency fund. If anyone is familiar with Dave Ramsey's principles, you'll probably be saying "Shelley, you only need $1000 in your emergency fund!"

This is true. However, I consider $1000 an emergency fund, and I need an extra $1000 to compensate for our fluctuating (read: partially commission-based) income. I feel better knowing that we have some protection against a bad month. So this is my first goal: Saving $2000. I should have put a snail up there for the progress thing...I feel like this is going to take a long time.

2 comments:

American Dreamer said...

Shelley,

You are doing well with your emergency fund. I never felt safe unless we had at least 6 months salary in an emergency fund especially when the economy is as bad as it is now. I always worried about what would happen if we had a job loss.

Shelley said...

I feel the same way, in fact it's a constant source of anxiety to me. I'd love to have at least 3 months salary saved up, but I think that's step 3, after paying off debt. I'm estimating that's going to take 5 years.