Monday, March 17, 2008

Totals for Week One of the Great Grocery Experiment

Well, this didn't quite work out the way I thought it would. Kind of disappointing, actually. Anyway, here's what I did today:

Safeway
2 gallons 1% milk, $2 each
Red grapes, 75 cents/lb.
Navel oranges, 79 cents/lb.

Total - $7.38.

Sprouts
Broccoli, 99 cents/lb. I wasn't planning on getting this because it wasn't a great sale, but it was a request from Kylie. And when Miss Sweet Tooth requests broccoli? Oh yeah, I bought it.
1 Cantaloupe, 99 cents each
1 Pineapple, 99 cents each
1 head of cabbage, 25 cents/lb. We don't eat cabbage, but for that price, it's a treat for Shannon's hamsters.
Green leaf lettuce, 69 cents/lb.
Roma tomatoes, 77 cents/lb.
Gala apples, 99 cents/lb.

Total - $7.52 I thought that was decent, especially after I saw the produce prices at Fry's.

Fry's
This was the disappointing part. I spent $80.45 and saved $85.79, for a 52% savings. Not bad, but I was hoping to spend less. Of course, this did include $12 worth of boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I found on clearance, 4 packages at about $3 each. I use that every week to make my dinners for work, so that's enough for a month.

Some good deals there were:
3 bottles of Ivory body wash, 50 cents each after coupons.
2 Colgate toothbrushes, free after coupons.
2 24 ct. Excedrin Migraine, free after coupons.
3 Russell Stover 3 oz chocolate rabbits, free after coupons.
3 I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, 20 cents each after coupons

Grocery total for the week: $112.67. Bleh. I was really hoping to do better than that.

Then I went to CVS. I decided to see if I can get this Extra Bucks thing going. This is what I bought:

1 Maybelline Superstay Lipcolor. 15 year-old daughter REALLY appreciated this one. Paid $8.99, earned $8.99 in EB. Wish I had the $2 Maybelline coupon, but I didn't.
4 Glade Sprays, 99 cents each, used 2 BOGO coupons. Paid $1.98 earned $2 in EB.
2 packages 12 count plastic Easter eggs, 99 cents each. Earned $1.98 in EB
3 bags Hershey's Easter candy, $1.99 each, used a $1.50 off 3 bags coupon.

So, my total paid at CVS was $18.67. I earned $12.97 in EB, and got a coupon for a $25 gift card with a new or transfered prescription. We'll use that next time DH refills one of his scripts.

Hopefully next weeks goes a little better.

4 comments:

American Dreamer said...

I hope that you are kidding about not doing well! You did terrific! And I learned something. I did not know that Sprouts had such great produce prices. Your Fry's trip at 52% off was awesome. That is a lot of savings especially since you got so much marked down chicken. I am never able lately to find those packages. Fortunately I have a freezer full of meat. You CVS trip was trememdous. Now next week roll those ECB's into more deals.

Karen said...

Thanks for leaving a link to your blog. I love reading about other people's deals and since you are in AZ its twice as good :)

Shelley said...

Well, I wasn't kidding, actually. The disppointing part is that after running around to five different stores, I seem to have paid about the same for a week's worth of groceries as I would have if I just did it all at Fry's. I'm not giving up on the multiple-store method just yet, though!

Sprouts does have some great sales on produce. I think what I'm going to do is that whatever is on sale, those are the fruits and veggies we eat for the week. I was excited about the CVS thing...I can't wait to see what the deals are next week, so I can use some of those ECBs!

American Dreamer said...

You have to remember that those of us who save so much on our grocery bills have stockpiled for quite some time so we can just get whatever is on sale and Free or cheap and then make our meals out of our freezer or pantry. When I have to buy meat it puts quite a dent in my budget. But I try to stockpile when it is on sale. But my spending on meats goes up for special occasions or holidays. As you do more and more buying with coupons and sales, you will find your grocery stockpile will grow and so will your savings at the stores because you won't have to buy something for a meal- you will already have it. Don't get discouraged- it will take a couple of months to build a stockpile but stay at it and it will happen.:-)