Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Frustrated

Well, it's another week, and my emergency fund is still at a standstill. In fact, I know that April wasn't a really good month for husband, so I'm afraid that the $600 I do have in there may be mostly used to get us through the next month. Sigh.

On a bit brighter note, I guess May is going better for him. It's the little things, right?

This week, I shopped only at Fry's. I didn't really see anything that would make me money at CVS, so I'm holding onto my ECBs for this week, hoping for something good next week.

At Fry's, I spent $81.52. However, I saved over $120 (according to my receipt), and my savings percentage was 62%! That's two weeks in a row of hitting a 60%+ savings, which never happens. Now I'm starting to wonder if the higher prices are making my sales seem bigger, if you know what I mean. Like the "actual" prices are even higher to start with, so when I use the sales and the coupons, it makes my savings percentage looks bigger. This is what I'm starting to think.

Fry's can claim all they want that they're "Pushing Down Prices", but according to the rather reliable price book in my head, that's not really the case. Oh sure, they've lowered the price of some things, but they've jacked up the prices of other things. The Fry's brand split-top bread that I used to pay $1.69 a loaf for is now $2.19. I bought Holsum bread this week because it was $1.99. The can of Kraft parmesan cheese says right on the can that the suggested retail price is $3.49, yet the shelf tag says $5.99.

I bought two whole fryers at 57 cents a lb. Anyone know a good recipe for cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot without it getting mushy? And I already do the thing where I put it up on a small rack or balled-up tin foil, so it's not actually sitting in its own juices. Just wondering.

Those of you who live in Arizona might appreciate this. It was SO beautiful yesterday, that we headed to the zoo. I took a lot of pictures. Look here if you are interested in looking!

No comments: