Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Things Are Really Tight This Week...

Therefore, I tried to knock $30 off my grocery budget and $30 off our miscellaneous expenses budget. Of course, that would be the week of the $29 ear infection and $38 worth of thermostat, antifreeze, and temp gauge for my daughter's car. Sigh.

Anyway...

I made two grocery store trips this week. The first one was on Sunday on my way home from work. I stopped at Safeway because they had the $2 gallons of milk this week. Also, only on Sunday they had a 4 lb bag of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $5.96. That's $1.49 a lb! Great deal. So I spent $10.14 there.

Then I went to Fry's on Monday. I was kind of proud of this trip, so I'm still carrying the receipt around in my pocket. I'm kind of a geek that way.

They had a lot of good Cinco De Mayo specials. Here are some highlights from the trip:

3 packages Farmland Bacon, used $2 off coupon, paid 99 cents each
9 packages Mission Tortillas, on sale 10 for $10. I had 3 $1/2 coupons, then 3 $1.00 off coupons that I printed off the computer. So I paid 50 cents each for 6 of the packages, and the other three were free.
1 Tony's Pizza - free. That was a coupon that Fry's sent me in the mail.
1 Red Baron pizza, on sale for $2.50, used a $1 off coupon from that same mailer.
6 two- liter bottles of Coke products, 67 cents each.
3 jars Herdez salsa, on sale 2/$4, used $1 off coupons, paid $1 each.
2 Eggo Waffles - these were BOGO, and I think the normal price was $2.29. I had a coupon from the Fry's mailer again, that was $1/2 Eggo Products, so I paid $1.29 for two boxes, or 65 cents each.
3 Healthy Ones Lunchmeat, on sale 3/$5, used $1 off coupons, paid 67 cents each
1 Daisy sour cream, on sale for $1, used 50 cent coupon - free.
2 28 oz bags Mission Tortilla chips, on sale for $1.88, used $1 off printed coupons, paid 88 cents each.
6 boxes Quaker Chewy Granola Bars, on sale 3/$5, used $1/2 coupons, paid $1.17 each.
2 boxes Jolly Time Healthier Butter popcorn, on sale 2/$4, used two printed $1.50 off coupons, paid 50 cents each.
2 Sunchips Garden Salsa flavor, on sale 2/$4, used $1/2 Sunchips, paid $1.50 each.
1 bag mini peeled Kroger carrots, $1.49, used a 65 cent off coupon from the Fry's mailer.
3 Lawry's marinade, on sale for $1.88, used 50 cent coupons doubled, paid 88 cents each.
There was also $1 off coupon when you spent $3 on fresh fruit. Between bananas and apples, I more than spent $3, so I used that.

All in all, I spent $66.90 and saved (according to my receipt) $104.79! That's a 61% savings! I rarely hit that kind of number, so when I showed my husband the receipt, I said, "Act like you're impressed, even if you're really not." I think he actually was, though.

So my total for this week was $77.04. I went over what I wanted to spend by a few dollars, but I still think I did pretty well.

2 comments:

JANE4girls said...

you are doing great!

American Dreamer said...

Shelley,

I think with all the tortillas and salsa I got over the past 3 weeks, we will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo around here for a long time.