Friday, May 30, 2008

New Week, New Optimism...Today Anyway. :)

I started off my shopping for this week at Safeway. I've set a $75 budget for groceries this week. Here's what I got at Safeway:

1 4lb bag of Manor frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts, $4. You need the in-ad coupon, limit is 1 with a $10 purchase, or I would have gotten two!

1 dozen Lucerne large eggs, $1, also with an in-ad coupon and minimum $10 purchase. These deals are only good through tomorrow, if you're thinking about taking advantage of them.

2 loaves of Oven Joy white sandwich bread, $1 each

Red seedless grapes @ 88 cents/lb - 2.2 lbs was $1.94.

They also had another deal with a minimum $10 purchase, but you didn't need an in-ad coupon for this one. They had Rancher's Reserve beef chuck 7 bone pot roast for 99 cents a lb. The regular price for these is $4.29 a lb. They had a limit of 2, so I got two. One of them was $3.38 with a regular price of over $14, and the other one is slightly larger at $3.73. These pieces of meat are huge.

I spent $16.32 total and saved $39.48, according to my receipt, for a 71% savings.

Since Precious has been posting about eating cheaply, I thought I'd tell you what we had for dinner tonight, because I think the whole meal was probably under $5. I took one of the 7 bone pot roasts that I just bought ($3.38) and put it in a Lawry's Steak and Chop marinade (free w/ coupon) for a few hours. Hubby then cooked it out on the grill, and it was YUMMY. We also had Pasta Roni parmesan noodles for a side dish (50 cents for the box w/coupon) and a bag of Dole salad (free at Fry's last week w/coupon) The salad dressing is from the Kraft deal at Fry's a few months ago, and the whole bottle was 67 cents, so the amount we used for one meal was pennies.

Anyway, point is we fed five people (two adults, two teens, one small fry) for probably around $5, and we had meat and salad left over. Not too shabby!

4 comments:

American Dreamer said...

Lisa,

You certainly did maximize your dollars yesterday. I appreciate you giving me the heads up on the chicken. I just wish I had more freezer space to get more. However that pot roast is such a great deal that I may go do that one. I will put it in my crockpot with veggies out on the patio table to cook so as to not heat up the house with the A/C running and 100 degree temps here. Your idea of cooking it out on the grill after marinating it, I am going to steal too! Thanks! Anytime that you are feeding a family of 5 healthily for $1.00 or under a day is terrific.

Samantha said...

Damn I wish my Safeway had deals like that.
Maybe it does and I should be looking harder.

Anonymous said...

Hubby here. Although they called it a raost, I treated it like a porterhouse, grilled it like steak ( 10 min on each side fro Med Rare on Med heat ), and as Shelley said. Very tasty. So, imagine a slab of 1 1/4 thick porterhouse, as soon as you remove the bones after cooking. More Steak !!!!!

Shelley said...

Hi Samantha,
The stores will always have what they call "loss leaders"...really good deals that they take at a loss just to get you in the store. Those are usually on the front page of the store ad, and are usually the best deals.
Thanks for stopping by!