Monday, April 14, 2008

Week of April 13th - April 19th

Wow, one day and I think I've blown my entire grocery budget for the week.

First I went to Sprouts, and got:

Bag of carrots, 69 cents
Gala apples, 99 cents/lb
1 gold and 1 red bell pepper, 50 cents each
1 green bell pepper, 69 cents
Hot House tomatoes, 99 cents/lb
yellow onions, 25 cents/lb
2 clamshells (1 lb) strawberries, 97 cents each.

Total - $8.71

Went to Fry's for my main shopping, and spent more than I meant to! My total there was $83.57. However, I saved $101.29, according to my receipt, so 55%. I'm not going to list everything I got there, but some highlights were:

20 lbs of ground beef @ 99 cents/lb
1 whole fryer chicken at 88 cents/lb, because tomorrow I'm going to try making this.
6 Herbal Essence shampoos/conditioners. These were on sale 2 for $5, and I used three $3/2 mnfr coupons, so paid $1 each.
2 Purex laundry detergents, on sale for $2.50, used $1 off mnfr coupons

I also did the $5 off 10 items 3 times again, and stocked up on Gatorade, cake mix, mustard, peanut butter, paper towels, and Ziploc freezer bags. I'm going to need those bags for my 20 lbs of ground beef!

Then I went and picked up the little one from preschool, and had to make one more trip to a different Fry's. The Fry's I normally go to was out of oldest daughter's favorite type of Gatorade.
So for the last trip,
10 Gatorade @ 50 cents each
1 package hamburger buns (forgot those before)
1 donut (To keep the kid happy), 50 cents

Total: $6.82

Yikes, my total for the week is $99.10! I guess I'm done shopping. Well, actually I'll probably go to Basha's tomorrow and get a couple of half gallons of milk while they're still $1. Over budget this week....booooo.

3 comments:

American Dreamer said...

Shelley,

You did great! You got a lot of food for that money and thank you for posting the link to the Mexican chicken. It looks like something my DH would enjoy.

Shelley said...

Thanks...yeah, I totally stock up on the ground beef when they sell it for that price, it doesn't happen too often.

As for that chicken spaghetti, I made it last night and the family loved it. Which surprised me, because I have some very picky eaters. Especially middle child, youngest child, and HUSBAND. I made a few modifications for my family: I left out the green peppers and pimentos, and added a bag of frozen peas. It turned out really well!

American Dreamer said...

Hi Shelley,

Here is my new blog addy:

http://frugalmakescents.blogspot.com/

I have deleted totally the other one.